The Conservatory of Music "Giuseppe Verdi" is an institution of higher education, specialization and improvement of research in the arts and music and plays related production activities. The building that houses the conservatory was built in 1928 as the School of Music of the Municipal Technical Office project of architect Giovanni Battista Ricci. The neo-baroque façade Piedmont tends to monumentalise the nineteenth-century piazza Bodoni.
"Royal Conservatory of Music Giuseppe Verdi in Turin" was established
on Feb. 13, 1936 when the existing "Istituto Musicale Giuseppe Verdi",
born in 1866 as the "Musical Institute of the City of Turin", was
elevated to the rank of school empowered to award official diploma in the music profession. Unlike the classical style of the facade, the interior is
characterized by precious eclectic decorations tending to liberty of the
hall, the foyer and the Concert Hall.The
latter is considered the best acoustic environment of the city and is
equipped with an organ concert opened on May 10, 1933. After the war, in
this room the RAI orchestra here held her concerts until 1952 with
conductors such as Wilhelm Furtwängler, singers as Elizabeth Schwartzkopf and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.After a fire in 1984 the Hall was closed for many years, the last renovation was in 2006.