Looking down towards the Vanchiglia zone with the dominating Santa Giulia church in the center, on the left side is the infamous 'Polenta', the narrowest housing building in Turin.
1854 the city of Turin was hit by a cholera epidemic, which is why the Vanchiglia regione, at the time decay and constantly subject to moisture
of the nearby river Po, was largely reclaimed and restored. However,
neither the architect Alessandro Antonelli suggestions, or the direct
intervention of King Vittorio Emanuele II managed to give a turning
point to a real major redevelopment of the neighborhood. A
few years later, the philanthropist Marquise Giulia Colbert Falletti di
Barolo, who had repeatedly rescue the sick of the same
village with her husband Carlo Tancredi Falletti di Barolo,
wanted to finance a project for the construction of a church.The
work under the management of don Giacomo Trucchio, began in 1862,
designed by a young architect, Giovanni Battista Ferrante. Unfortunately, the Marquise could not see the end result, because he died two years before completion of the work. The
church was inaugurated June 23, 1866 and titled in Santa Giulia, virgin
and Carthaginian martyr of the fifth century , who died in Corsica.